Facebook argument leads to 14-year-old’s murder

Treyonta Burleson
Treyonta Burleson (Courtesy: The Burleson family/Facebook)

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) – A war of words on Facebook spilled into real life and cost a 14-year-old girl her life.

Treyonta Burleson was shot and killed November 3 in the J.C. Napier Homes.

Antwana Smith, 18, has since been charged in connection with the shooting that happened in front of a group of teens.

Metro police said Smith confessed to the shooting after she was taken into custody the same day.

“She did provide that she was outside arguing with the girls and she fired at the girls,” Metro Nashville Police Detective Travis Zander testified during a preliminary hearing.

Antwana Smith, JC Napier 14-year-old shot, killed
Antwana Smith (Courtesy: Metro Nashville Police Department)

Burleson was struck once in the chest and later died at Vanderbilt University Medical Center.

Friends of Burleson took the stand during the hearing. Their identities have been protected by order of the judge.

“They were arguing on Facebook,” one girl testified. She was speaking of Smith and another minor not in court Tuesday. “They had words on Facebook and they wanted to fight us.”

She continued, “We was talking and we asked [Smith], ‘Why don’t you just put the gun down?’”

The teen testified that none of her friends, including Burleson, were armed.

“She was like fighting is dead,” the girl testified. “I ain’t fighting no more. It ain’t no more fighting, I am shooting. I am popping people.”

The girl said Smith went inside the house she was at, but then returned, opened the front door and started shooting.

Burleson was the only one hit.

Her family buried her on Saturday. Her uncle, Michael Burleson, appeared in court Tuesday.

“We are going to let the court handle this situation. We ask that everybody continue to pray for the family,” he said. “This is a tough time for us and a tough pill to swallow.”

He continued, ”Yeah, we want to do stuff negative, but we ask people who are trying to do things negative in the name of Treyonta don’t do it. The courts have got this.”

Burleson said Treyonta’s mother is still in shock and grieving.

“She is holding up. It is hard to lose a child but she is holding up,” he said.

The Smith’s case has been bound over to the Davidson County Grand Jury.

She remains jailed on a $250,000 bond.

Source: news2
Facebook argument leads to 14-year-old’s murder


Add Comments


You may also like...