TSU officer caught on tape allegedly assaulting female security guard


NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) – A Tennessee State University officer was suspended without pay and temporarily decommissioned after he was cited with assaulting a female security guard on campus.

The incident was captured on security cameras from the student union center two months ago during a homecoming concert.

Officer Derrick Hutchinson
Courtesy: Metro Nashville Police Department

It happened at 8:30 p.m. when Officer Derrick Hutchinson was working near the front door, checking students arriving to see the show.

The 47-year-old is seen engaging with TSU security guard Linda Hambrick.

As the discussion becomes more animated, the 220-pound Hutchison is seen picking up a barricade forcefully.

The video shows him then put his hands on 64-year-old Hambrick, pushing her against a support column inside the student center.

The TSU officer and security guard continue to share words for several moments until another uniformed officer arrives, separating the two.

The police report indicates Hambrick suffered bruising to her left arm.

According to a source close to the investigation, the guard told Officer Hutchinson that a female went into the men’s restroom.

The source said the guard asked Hutchinson to assist her and he said, “No, that’s not my concern.”

The guard reportedly said, “Yes, it is,” and the situation got physical, as seen through the security footage.

News 2 also learned from the source Officer Hutchinson later apologized for the incident.

He’s back on the job Thursday night as a TSU officer following a 10-day suspension after he was issued a criminal citation for misdemeanor simple assault.

News 2 visited the university Thursday to request an interview with Hutchinson or comment from officials. The school declined both requests.

Before coming to Tennessee State, Hutchinson was an officer with the Metro Nashville Police Department.

MORE: Investigation reveals disciplinary records of some TSU police officers

In 2005, he admitted to a personal relationship with a crime victim who said she felt intimidated by him. Hutchinson was investigating her case at the time and given a written reprimand.

Five years later on Aug. 2, 2010, Metro police arrested Hutchinson, charging him with domestic assault by intimidation. The warrant was filed by his ex-wife.

According to a letter obtained by News 2, on May 2, 2011, Hutchinson resigned from the Metro Nashville Police Department.

Source: news2
TSU officer caught on tape allegedly assaulting female security guard

Add Comments


You may also like...